St Peter's Day dinner
Well that was fun. (Photos here)When I graduated I wasn't particularly looking forward to staying another few days- I reckoned that it would be weird with Claire and Jessica gone and me in limbo wanting to get on with things myself. Luckily I was wrong and it turned into a night that was a far better way of saying bye to Peterhouse then the Graduand's dinner...
It did take a while to get going though. To start off with things were rubbish, mainly because we were treated very shabbily on the orders of the college's 'development director', Mr Plevy. Which meant we had to hide away, be incredibly quiet and suitably overawed (to be fair, the guests were quite impressive- lost count of the number of people I saw wearing a Legion D'Honneur) while sharing the pathetic total of four bottles of wine between eight of us... The food was also pretty dull. We only had three of the five courses given to us, and considering the piece of quail we had for the main course was the size of my thumb, it wasn't exactly filling stuff. In the end we decided to complain a lot, and also order pizza, as much to make the point as anything.
Up to this point then it had been generally boring, but then the cavalry came in the form of Dr Quash, Dr Berry etc- who after realising what an awful situation we were in quickly rustled up vast amounts of wine and champagne. From then on it was fantastic fun, and I ended up chatting to a Fellow called Roman and Professor Klinowski until 5 in the morning. Can't really think of a better way to end Peterhouse really then to be chatting with a guy who claims to have been on first-name terms with the late Pope...
Oh yeah, and we got to wear that stupid hat the Fellows get to wander around in;

I'm going to miss this place.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home