A star is born? Not likely!
I'm a bit late with this post, but my excuse is that I had to come down from an adrenaline fuelled high before I could write it!

Flanagan & Allen (Roger & I)
As if they didn't have enough work to do when they should be enjoying themselves, they had to sit through two higher than usual profile contributions to the singing from me. Firstly, as part of a medley of wartime songs, Roger and I briefly took on the parts of Flanagan and Allen to sing the introductory verse to Run Rabbit, Run. Not too distressing possibly. Halfway through the second half, though, came my big moment. A few months ago I'd agreed to do a solo number, replacing our normal male soloist who had had to drop out. I regretted it as soon as I'd agreed to it but, false modesty aside, I've generally enjoyed the process of working the number up and it certainly gave me a lot more confidence in my general singing. The Fishermen of England seemed to go OK, though having listened to recordings of both night's now, it certainly went better on the Saturday night, for which heavens be praised as my singing teacher was in the audience!

Stand by with the ear plugs!
By general consent, Saturday itself was one of the best concerts we have ever given and I'm proud that my moment of fame didn't detract too much from it. We've had a week off to recover, but rehearsals for our next batch of new repertoire start next week. Plus ça change....


Flanagan & Allen (Roger & I)
As if they didn't have enough work to do when they should be enjoying themselves, they had to sit through two higher than usual profile contributions to the singing from me. Firstly, as part of a medley of wartime songs, Roger and I briefly took on the parts of Flanagan and Allen to sing the introductory verse to Run Rabbit, Run. Not too distressing possibly. Halfway through the second half, though, came my big moment. A few months ago I'd agreed to do a solo number, replacing our normal male soloist who had had to drop out. I regretted it as soon as I'd agreed to it but, false modesty aside, I've generally enjoyed the process of working the number up and it certainly gave me a lot more confidence in my general singing. The Fishermen of England seemed to go OK, though having listened to recordings of both night's now, it certainly went better on the Saturday night, for which heavens be praised as my singing teacher was in the audience!

Stand by with the ear plugs!
By general consent, Saturday itself was one of the best concerts we have ever given and I'm proud that my moment of fame didn't detract too much from it. We've had a week off to recover, but rehearsals for our next batch of new repertoire start next week. Plus ça change....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home