Here and Now

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A Star is Born? I don't think so...


Singing with the Stuart Singers is a great joy. But a year or so ago I put my head above the parapet once too often and was asked if I'd sing a biggish solo in one of our numbers. Hubris took over and I said yes. The result was way too many performances of The Fishermen of England for my or, I suspect, anyone else's liking!

This time around I was asked if I'd start off our performance of Oh Holy Night, that lovely song by Adolph Adam which has always been a favourite. Ah, thought I, I'll only have to sing it twice, at our two Christmas concerts, so I said yes. Only then did our conductor tell me that we would be singing it at a prestgious event in Gloucester Cathedral in aid of the Meningitis Trust!

Listen to me singing the first few bars of Oh Holy Night...

The Cathedral was packed - maybe 1,000 people plus bechained mayors, sherriffs and other worthies (not to mention my singing teacher). To say I was nervous would be doing my nerves a diservice. I could hardly speak. But luckily I could sing. In the wonderful cathedral acoustic it came across better than our two concerts at the weekend and my relief was a real physical sensation! So, it all ended well and I can relax into Christmas. No more singing until well into January...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home