Here and Now

Thursday, April 07, 2005

On being Chairman

I must say that this Chairman lark is rather fun! It's not that I didn't go to plenty of WI meetings before, some as a guest and speaker, but always receiving a warm welcome and being amongst friends, of course. It's just that now, it's a bit different. People come and chat, are rather more inclined to offer their thoughts and opinions and, most of all, say the nicest things!

I took Mummy along to my first group meeting, at Chipping Campden. It was a horrid night - pouring with rain and rather foggy en route. A good WI husband was looking after the parking and we shared a smile and rolled our eyes at the performance of some whose reversing left a little to be desired! We had a really delightful evening in the company of several familiar faces and were amused by the speaker - a pantomime dame called Richard, who shared the secrets of make-up and costume. The warm welcome was extended to Mummy, which was so generous, and we both enjoyed ourselves. What a great start!

Last night, I went to Stonehouse, to another group meeting, and once again, found myself amongst friends - some I knew already, others I made during the evening. It was a real pleasure to share in the fun - I judged the competition for three items displayed on a tabletop, theme of "Rhapsody in Blue", and found there were only two and a half marks separating the entries, so good were they. The entertainment was a couple of chaps from the Gloucestershire Morris, who spoke and demonstrated some of their art.

Really interesting - not surprising to learn that I know so little about Morris dancing, but perhaps more so that others knew so much! As always the chatter was fun. I caught up with the latest news from Wycliffe, discovered one or two mutual friendships, learned that one lady was thrilled to have a new man in her life, and was delighted to have offers of support and friendship from several ladies upon learning of my election as Chairman.

One of the nicest things was the look on the face of the lady who won the Denman bursary - truly surprised and absolutely thrilled. As if that wasn't enough, I was presented with a gorgeous hand-tied bunch of flowers to take home. What a super evening!

(Originally posted by Gill)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home