A weekend in Salamanaca / Back in Cambridge
Just got back from a rather nice weekend visiting Seb in Salamanca. He's just gone out there for his year abroad, so I thought I'd visit him a few weeks in to make sure he was allright, enjoy exploring the place etc.
After a very long journey (leaving home at 6:30AM and getting into Seb's flat at 8PM via two London railway stations, Stansted and Valladolid airports, a taxi and a railway train), I got to Salamanca on friday evening. As it turned out, it's a very interesting place. The best way to describe it would be Cambridge, as designed by Spaniards. Somehow it has exactly the same feel, but looks very different- generally more imposing, with some incredibly large churches. Here's a few photos to give you the idea...

(more here, as always)
We had a good night out on the Friday, then spent most of Saturday touring the town, taking photos and buying souvenirs. It was only a flying visit so not much to report, but a good (if tiring) time was had by all, save a brief blip on Saturday night caused by my own inimitable stubbornness (needless to say, I was in the right and the waitress was in the wrong...)In any case, I got back to Cambridge on Sunday evening and had a nice night with Alex reacquainting ourselves with the entertainments offered by Cambridge (i.e the pub)
And that's the end of my summer holiday (such as it was), as after having my stuff dropped off on Monday I'm now in Cambridge for the Michelmass term proper. I have to admit the novelty's worn off already- it's definitely to be hoped that it'll get more interesting then it threatens to be at present though, as I have a large Clover-shaped hole in my social life to contend with. We shall see.
(First posted by Ed)
After a very long journey (leaving home at 6:30AM and getting into Seb's flat at 8PM via two London railway stations, Stansted and Valladolid airports, a taxi and a railway train), I got to Salamanca on friday evening. As it turned out, it's a very interesting place. The best way to describe it would be Cambridge, as designed by Spaniards. Somehow it has exactly the same feel, but looks very different- generally more imposing, with some incredibly large churches. Here's a few photos to give you the idea...

(more here, as always)We had a good night out on the Friday, then spent most of Saturday touring the town, taking photos and buying souvenirs. It was only a flying visit so not much to report, but a good (if tiring) time was had by all, save a brief blip on Saturday night caused by my own inimitable stubbornness (needless to say, I was in the right and the waitress was in the wrong...)In any case, I got back to Cambridge on Sunday evening and had a nice night with Alex reacquainting ourselves with the entertainments offered by Cambridge (i.e the pub)
And that's the end of my summer holiday (such as it was), as after having my stuff dropped off on Monday I'm now in Cambridge for the Michelmass term proper. I have to admit the novelty's worn off already- it's definitely to be hoped that it'll get more interesting then it threatens to be at present though, as I have a large Clover-shaped hole in my social life to contend with. We shall see.
(First posted by Ed)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home