Making Books

I was intrigued by the references to "Hedgehog" books in one of the art journals I read, and had to have a go myself (Thanks Anu). Above is the first attempt, with which I was pretty pleased, considering it was so quick to make. Talking to an ACET colleague, we realised that it would be a good project for the embedded basic skills workshop we've offered - there's measuring, proportions, estimation, factors, counting and ordering as numeracy skills, and plenty of literacy opportunities in naming the colours, describing the papers, following written and spoken instructions, new vocabulary in the parts of a book, and even a chance to do a bit of creative writing inside once it's finished. I expect someone will even offer a little critical evaluation as well.
WOW! Who knew we used so many skills without a second's thought?
So, my colleague Julie has the first hedgehog as her sample, and I've made another. I've rounded the corners of this one to make it look even more "moleskinny" (cf the "moleskine" trademarked books of which this pattern is a rip off) as suggested.
wirewoman was the originator of these great little books and offered the instructions and her observations in her livejournal. She's also set up a Hedgehogs forever Yahoo group. The directions for making the Hedgehogs are in the files section of the site.

Here's my second Hedgehog. Covers are the free papers which came in Somerset Studio magazine.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home