Here and Now

Friday, November 02, 2007

Roller Coaster

Further roller coaster ups and downs since I last reported news of Edna. We left her on Tuesday lunchtime and made our way to Birmingham, where we were planning to hear a concert of Tchaikowsky that evening (with The Hebrides, too, Gordon's favourite) No sooner had we arrived than I had a call to say that Edna was distressed - I could hear her shouting and needed no further evidence. We decided that we couldn't stay and enjoy a concert of such emotional music and headed home.

En route, I decided that I needed to be with Edna, so rather than wait till the following morning when the traffic would be heavier, I turned straight around and drove back up to Hull immediately.

I spent most of Wednesday with her, observing occasional bouts of anxiety in between more calm, relaxed periods, but was basically optimistic about her situation and pleased to hear that she had been generally more settled. As I left, however, she became upset and I regretted my decision to rush to her side at the drop of a hat - perhaps a more considered decision to have waited a little while before returning would have been better.

Ah, the wonder of hindsight!

Today, we have heard that Edna is to be admitted to Castle Hill hospital, initially for tests to find the cause for her continued anxiety. We hope to hear from them later that she is settled and have further news, but for the time being, she is expected to be in Ward 18 and having had tests, it could be that she returns to St Mary's as soon as Monday. Clearly all will depend on the outcome of the results.

So, for the time being, we wait and I worry...no doubt unecessarily, for I am confident that she could not be in better hands. But at times like this, 200 miles is a long way and I don't like to think of her alone and disorientated. However, I must trust the staff who do their job so professionally and feel thankful that her well-being is their primary concern.

The plan is that we will drive up to Hull as previously arranged, on Tuesday lunchtime, for a case conference on Wednesday morning. Our book launch is on Wednesday evening in Tewkesbury Abbey, so we will return for that.

I will post more news when we have it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Gill, this is the first time I've seen your more personal blog. Although there have been clues on 'An Elegant Sufficiency', I hadn't realised quite how difficult things had become. I know it's not much but you're in my thoughts (hugs)

    By Blogger Seahorse, at 12:44 pm  

  • I often read your blog and have been following the progress of your Mum, my heart goes out to you, I do hope that they can sort things out for Edna and that tranquility returns. It touches me that you still refer to her as Mummy - wishing you all well
    Janice

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home