Here and Now

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

News of Edna

Mixed feelings here today - my birthday. Delighted, of course, to have a card from Edna if not that happy to hear what lengths my Auntie Jean had to go to to get Mummy to co-operate and sign it. Sadly, the news from Hull is that the lovely, gentle lady we knew has developed quite a temper and is inclined to sulk and throw a tantrum if things don't quite go according to plan. Of course, this is hard for us to hear when we are so far away, but must be all the harder for Jean and Christine (my cousin) to manage, when they are being so patient and good humoured about the day to day care of Mummy's well-being.

We can quite understand that personality can change as a result of stroke and similar events, but witnessing it first hand is rather different. I find it particularly hard to think of Edna becoming so obstructive, so unco-operative with peoplle who have only her best interests at heart and who are doing everything they can to make her life as comfortable as possible. I know that this is not her natural response, that it is only as a result of what has happened and that we shouldn't take it personally. However, I can't help but wish for some glimpse of the "real" Edna, the lovely, sweet-natured person I spoke to that Friday evening....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home